Throughout the decades Portland stone has adorned small to commercial projects. Our quarries and factories on the Isle of Portland continue to supply the world with natural limestone, from Finsbury Circus and St James’s Park in London, to monuments and war graves around the world.
From the very beginning in 1918 a steam driven 3 meter Anderson Grice primary saw was installed for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. These early steps of manufacturing led to modern works such as carving capitals for the National Gallery Sainsbury Wing.
A wealth of history has been supplied using our natural stone.